Government has announced the suspension of the expansion of the School Feeding Programme to allow debts owed caterers to be cleared.
This was disclosed by the Minister responsible for Gender, Children and Social Protection, Cecilia Abena Dapaah on the floor of Parliament on Wednesday.
The Minister’s announcement was in a response to a question from the Member of Parliament for Yilo Krobo, Albert Tetteh Nyarkotey on when the programme would be extended to some schools within his constituency.
In response, Mrs, Dapaah said, “Mr. Speaker, currently the expansion of the programme is on hold. We are clearing all arrears of caterers and putting in place measures to ensure effective and efficient service delivery to all beneficiary schools as well as the caterers.
We are also putting in place a management information system to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of the system. We shall surely inform this august House when we are ready to expand the programme to cover additional schools,” she said on the floor of Parliament.
In December last year, the Minister reassured that the remaining arrears owed to caterers of the Ghana School Feeding Programme (GSFP) would soon be settled.
She noted that all the necessary data and figures had been worked on and submitted to the Controller and Accountant General for the release of funds to pay the caterers.
Mrs. Dapaah said this when answering questions at the Ministry of Gender’s turn at the Meet The Press series in Accra on December 5, 2021.